Now you have decided to start a blog after fondling with the idea for so long; how exactly do you go about it?
Setting up a blog is pretty simple –much simpler than you would expect. As you may know, you don’t need any technical expertise to build a successful blog. Just like every meaningful endeavor, building a successful blog demands tenacity and a sheer determination to succeed –you must be willing to do the right thing.
But hold on; why do you want to start a blog in the first place? Are you just fascinated at the idea of setting up a blog or do you just want to make money blogging just like most other people?
Well, if you are unsure of your motive, here are some reasons why starting a blog wouldn’t be a bad idea
- To make money online: Blogging can turn from being a side hustle to becoming your sole source of income. The good thing is that blogging can make you enough to pay your bills and travel the world.
- Blogging creates solid awareness for your business: Small and Big businesses are now turning to blogging to build exposure for their businesses. You too can
- A blog serves as your portfolio: If you are a freelance writer, designer, accountant etc., you sure do need a blog. Having one makes you look professional.
Of course, the reasons for starting a blog is inexhaustible, but these three should be convincing enough.
5 basic steps to setting up a blog
- Decide the blogging niche you are comfortable with
- Select the blogging platform that fits you best
- Select a domain name and then find a host
- Design your website
- Add fresh and sharable content to your blog
Let’s quickly walk through these steps
Deciding a niche to blog about
A niche simply means an area of specialization. Now you have decided to start your own blog, what exactly are you going to talk about? If building a successful blog is what you are cut out for, then you must blog about:
- Something you are really interested in
- Something people have interest in
Abiding by these two rules ensures you don’t run out of fuel in your blogging career.
Selecting your best blogging platform
There are so many blogging platforms you can select from. Before taking a dive, you will have to decide between opting for free or paid hosting. The argument between free or paid hosting is an unending one but the bottom line is this –free hosting comes with lots of limitation.
WordPress happens to be the most popular paid hosting platform. Here is why
- WordPress is pretty easy to use
- It comes with countless free themes and layouts
- You can always get support when you get stuck
- WordPress comes with lots of functionality
Of course, there are lots of other platforms you can consider, some of which include:
Picking a domain name and a host
The very next thing you would want to do is to pick a domain name and a host. A domain is basically the URL of your website. Mywebsite.com, Facebook.com are typical examples. On the other hand, a host is a company that puts your website online. BlueHost, GoDaddy and Hostgator happen to be some of the most popular hosts. Their hosting fee ranges between $5 and $1 per month. GoDaddy offers the cheapest hosting plan.
Designing your blog
A blog with aesthetic appeal sure does look more attractive with non. The trick here is keeping things as simple as possible. A well-designed blog should have:
- A logo (you can find someone on Fiverr to do this for $5)
- A theme: WordPress comes with tons of free themes.
- Plugins: A plugin is there to help improve the functionality of your website. Yoast SEO, JetPack etc. are good plugins to begin with.
Add fresh and sharable content to your blog
If you have followed all the points listed here, you should have a live blog that is up and running. Next is to build traffic to your blog. Of course, building traffic to your website is a subject for another day, you can begin by adding SEO friendly and fresh content to your blog.
So there you have it, 5 easy steps to starting a blog. This guide, though simple is powerful. But they can only work when you get to work at it.